Interested in Volunteering or Interning?
There are many areas in which folks volunteer with HIAS Pennsylvania.
Click on the different areas below to learn more about the opportunities and how to apply!
COVID-19 Response Team
HIAS PA seeks volunteers to obtain/deliver essential items to families in need during COVID-19.
Specifically, we are in need of:
- Folks willing to grocery shop and deliver to family’s home and/or pay for groceries (once, or on a monthly or less frequent basis). Please sign up here.
- Folks willing to deliver items in their cars (generally picking up from a partner in Warminster or from our office in Center City and delivering throughout the region). Please sign up here and indicate ‘Delivery Driver’ in ‘Why do you want to volunteer?’
Thank you for your gracious and selfless support during this time!
Pro Bono Attorneys
We are currently recruiting attorneys to take on asylum cases. Those without experience are required to attend a HIAS PA asylum CLE which are currently offered twice a year in June and in December. HIAS PA is a PA CLE accredited provider and a participant in the PA CLE’s Pro Bono Pilot Project.
Mental Health Professionals
We are currently recruiting folks to support both staff and clients through evaluations, trainings, and consultations. Volunteers must have:
- License in Psychology, Psychiatry, or Clinical Social Work.
- Malpractice insurance coverage
- Relevant experience and/or training, such as Physician’s for Human Rights, HealthRights International, Penn Human Rights Clinic or similar forensic training for asylum seekers.
General Pro Bono
Do you have a skill in communications, research, or other general expertise? These opportunities come and go, but please apply and we will follow up to have a conversation with you to see whether your skills fit our current needs.
HIAS PA has a partnership with Airbnb’s Open Homes initiative. Open Homes hosts go through the Airbnb platform to provide free, temporary housing to folks in need as they settle into their new communities. Hosts have full control over when and who they can accept, and would liaise with a HIAS PA staff member around specific housing requests before making the decision whether or not to accept. Learn how you can use your extra space to provide a welcoming stay for refugees through Airbnb’s Open Homes program here!
Bar and Bat Mitzvah
Thank you for your interest in partnering with HIAS PA for your Bar/Bat Mitzvah project. Here are some ideas of what students have done in the past. Ideally, students do a combination of service work with us and then advocacy, community education, and/or fundraising in their communities to share what they have learned and garner support for immigrants and refugees.
Upon reviewing the above document, email email@example.com and share your timeline and which project(s) above are of interest.
HIAS PA is at capacity through summer 2020 and is currently accepting applications for fall 2020 onwards.
A limited number of internship opportunities in our administration, social services, and legal services departments are available to students who are college-aged or older. Internships at HIAS PA are unpaid.
Interns are accepted on a rolling basis and we cannot guarantee a position.
Volunteer Workshops and Trainings
Want a speaker to come to your congregation, organization, or place of business?
We were supported by