After-school Program Volunteer
Position Summary: HIAS PA is in partnership with Northeast Community Church in which HIAS PA staff and volunteers provide after-school programming to English language learners, most of whom are refugees. This programming includes homework help, language development, and art-based activities. The program is headed by a lead teacher whose work is supplemented and supported by a cadre of volunteers who work one on one with students on activities. This school year, 2022-2023 the PreK-8 program will be at the Northeast Community Church (3300 Tyson Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19149).
- Work one on one and in small groups with students on homework assignments.
- Support lead teacher in facilitated activities and games according to HIAS PA teaching methodologies.
- Volunteer will commit to the same weekday(s) for the duration of one academic semester.
- Volunteer will proactively communicate with HIAS PA staff if they need to miss a week, be late, or leave early.
- Volunteer will proactively engage with students and help to manage their behavior as needed.
- Volunteer will participate in team trainings conducted by HIAS PA staff during the school year.
- Volunteer will respect the importance of personal boundaries between themselves and students.
- Volunteer will be able to engage in a variety of tasks needed for preparation and take down of the classroom, prepare and serve snacks, and accompany students to the bathroom facilities as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Must be at least 13 years of age or older.
- Maintain confidentiality of all client related information.
- Willing and able to commit to a one school-based semester, committing to the same weekday each week.
- Experience working with kids and/or English language learners preferred.
- Culturally competent; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Able and willing to attend in-service volunteer trainings.
Timeframe: The expectation for this programming is a full school semester length commitment (October through December 2022 and/or January through April 2023, with school breaks). Volunteers are expected to commit to the same day for the duration of their volunteer period (either Tuesday or Thursday 3:30-5:30pm).
Site: Northeast Community Church (3300 Tyson Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19149)
Supervision: You will receive regular communications, support, and training from the Youth Education Case Manager and PreK-8 Program Coordinator and individual program instructors. On site, there will be a lead teacher present who is HIAS PA staff and a program assistant.
Benefits: You will…
- Be instrumental in students’ increasing confidence.
- Build meaningful relationships with refugee resettlement clients.
- Gain experience in language teaching methodologies.
- Be instrumental in creating a welcoming environment for newcomers in Philadelphia.
- Become familiar with other linguistics and cultural practices through interactions with students.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to the Community Engagement Specialist, Anneke Kat, at email@example.com