Employment Information for Employers
HIAS PA matches employers’ hiring needs in the Philadelphia area with job seekers who are eager to start new opportunities. Employers who partner with us in providing employment opportunities to refugees, asylees, and other immigrants:
- Receive applicant referrals at no cost
- Are connected with a diverse group of job seekers with various professional qualifications and backgrounds
- Receive support from HIAS PA, including interpretation and administrative assistance, throughout hiring, onboarding, and the probationary period
All refugees, asylees, and other immigrants working with HIAS PA’s Employment team are legally authorized to work and have proper documentation. Our clients receive job readiness training, English language classes, and career development support.
If you are interested in partnering with HIAS PA, please fill out this form.
If you have any other questions, please contact Andrew Nguyen, Employment Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-258-4258. If you are an organization that offers vocational training, apprenticeships, and other workforce development opportunities and would like to collaborate with HIAS PA, please also contact the Employment Program Manager.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are refugees and asylees?
Refugee and asylee status is granted to people who have been persecuted or fear persecution on grounds of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Refugee and asylee status makes them authorized to work indefinitely pursuant to 8 CFR § 274a. 12(a) (3), (4), and (5). HIAS PA works with refugees and asylees living in the Greater Philadelphia area from all across the world.
What are the benefits of hiring refugees?
We know that currently most industries have significant staff shortages. Refugees and asylees can help meet your staffing needs. This study by the Fiscal Policy Institute and the Tent Partnership for Refugees shows:
- Three quarters of employers surveyed saw lower turnover rates for refugees than overall
- Lower turnover translates into efficiency for companies. Replacing an employee was estimated for these employers to cost about $5,000—more than enough to offset the costs of hiring and retaining refugee employees.
- Employers often saw overall improvements in their managers after refugees were hired.
- Companies that hire our clients may qualify for the federal Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC). Many of our clients receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) from the government when they first arrive in the country. Employers qualify for the tax credit if the employee they hire received SNAP benefits for at least 3 out of the 5 previous months from the date of hire.
- Refugees and asylees are survivors of great adversity who lost their homes, personal property, and careers. This makes them extremely motivated workers looking for opportunities to start a new life and create economic stability for their households.
- Hiring our job seekers demonstrates to your community your commitment to uplifting and strengthening families, building self-sufficiency, and promoting active participation of new arrivals to your community.
Are refugees and asylees authorized to work?
Yes, refugees and asylees are authorized to work indefinitely. Department of Homeland Security provides refugees and asylees with a Form I-94, which does not expire. When completing Section 1 of Form I-9, refugees and asylees should check “A noncitizen authorized to work” and write “N/A” on the Expiration Date field, even if they have an EAD with an expiration date.
Do I need to sponsor a work visa for refugees and asylees?
Can I hire a refugee if they don’t have a Social Security Number?
Yes. While a majority of job seekers with HIAS PA already have their Social Security card, occasionally refugees may experience a delay in receiving an SSN. Although you will eventually need to record an SSN for wage reporting purposes, the employee may start work regardless of whether they have been issued an SSN. Employers can enter 000-00-0000 in the SSN field for employees who have not yet received their social security numbers.
Does HIAS PA charge a fee for employers?
No, HIAS PA is not a staffing agency and does not charge employer partners any fees to be matched with our job seekers.
What working experiences do HIAS PA’s clients have?
We work on a rolling basis with individuals to assist in finding employment and the makeup of our applicant pool changes, but our clients come from a broad range of professional backgrounds. HIAS PA assesses all our clients and develops resumes with them ahead of connecting them with employers so that we can find the best fit for both sides.
I am not an employer, but I want to support the economic integration of immigrants. How can I help?
If you want to discuss how you can help as an organization, please contact Andrew Nguyen, Employment Program Manager, at email@example.com or 215-258-4258. If you are an individual, please refer to https://hiaspa.org/get-involved/volunteer/
You can also support HIAS Pennsylvania’s work by making a donation.