- This event has passed.
Family Advocacy Picnic!
Calling all families who care about immigrants!
What does it mean to be turned away?
Join HIAS PA on Sunday, June 4th, at 2PM in Washington Square Park* for a Family Advocacy Picnic commemorating the tragedy of the passengers on the MS St. Louis who were turned away from the US and sent back to Nazi Europe, resulting in many lives lost.
- Learn about what happens when immigrants are turned away from safety
- Take action! Find out how you can help immigrants today.
- Write postcards to your lawmakers
Snacks will be provided!
*Note: This event is rain or shine! In the case of inclement weather, the event will take place inside HIAS Pennsylvania’s offices at 600 Chestnut Street.
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum – Voyage of the St. Louis
- PBS – Interactive: Voyage of the MS St. Louis
- Joint Distribution Committee – The Story of the S.S. St. Louis (1939)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – Teaching about Refugees
- Sesame Street – Grover meets Deputy Secretary Tony Blinken to talk about refugees
- Advocacy Call/Letter scripts
This event is part of HIAS PA’s Junior Advocates Program.