Bi-lingual Receptionist/Office Administrator
Supervisor: Office Manager
Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal, resettlement and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
HIAS Pennsylvania provides direct immigration legal services to low income, vulnerable immigrants in Southeastern Pennsylvania and refugee resettlement services in Philadelphia. Most of our callers are considered limited English proficient. Although we serve callers who are originally from 126 different countries, a significant portion of our callers are Spanish speaking. We therefore are seeking a bi-lingual Spanish-English receptionist.
Reception Area Management
- Open office promptly at 9:00 a.m. and closes no earlier than 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Answer telephone lines and direct calls to the appropriate staff member and/or take messages for staff.
- Facilitate welcome of walk-in clients and refer to appropriate staff member for assistance.
- Maintain order and cleanliness of reception and conference areas.
- Be responsive to Jewish Federation’s front desk receptionist when they call for assistance with our clients.
- Obey all building security rules.
- Process outgoing and distribute incoming mail to program staff each day, preparing certified and express mailings as needed.
- With Office Manager, collect and distribute incoming faxes.
- Assist in copying documents and preparing basic immigration forms as needed.
- Maintain and update client databases.
- Prepare correspondence as needed
- Keep office supply area neat, well-maintained and well-stocked
- Support staff with other administrative tasks as needed
- Well-developed office organizational skills with the ability to perform multiple tasks in an efficient and effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while greeting incoming visitors and clients in a busy office environment.
- Ability to prioritize work in order to complete required tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Must be punctual, friendly and articulate and able to maintain patience in a busy office setting. Must not take things personally. Our office receives more than 3,000 calls per year and our clients are fearful and often upset. As the first person that our clients speak with it is important that they feel safe and welcomed when they call or otherwise interact with staff.
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills and ability to engage in creative problem-solving with staff.
- Knowledge of computers including, Windows XP, database entry, and electronic mail.
- Ability to communicate well in both English and Spanish.
- Demonstrated interest in working in a social services organization and ability to be sensitive to the needs of a diverse client base, including limited English proficiency individuals.
- Previous administrative/receptionist experience preferred.
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
If you are interested this position, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Veronica Cacho at firstname.lastname@example.org.