HIAS Pennsylvania's Mission: Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS (the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) PA provides legal, resettlement and supportive services to immigrants and refugees from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society.
HIAS Pennsylvania is recognized by the Executive Office of lmmigration Review (EOIR) of the Department of Justice as a voluntary agency permitted to host immigration specialists known as accredited representatives who can provide immigration legal services.
HIAS Pennsylvania is the lead organization of the Philadelphia Citizenship Action Network ((P-CAN), a collaborative of 8 adult education providers and two DOJ recognized organizations formed to expand services to low-income residents in Philadelphia in need of citizenship instruction and application assistance. We seek an immigration attorney or accredited representative who can serve as the Project Coordinator to ensure that project goals are met and that high quality service is provided and to provide immigration legal services to those seeking to naturalize, adjust their status, petition for relatives and other incidental immigration legal responsibilities.
Job Title: Immigration Staff Attorney or Accredited Representative
Supervisor: Director, Citizenship Assistance Program
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Summary of Responsibilities: Project Coordination (50% of time):
- Coordinate, with host citizenship instruction sites, information sessions used to enroll learners in citizenship classes.
- Establish a calendar of classes and ensure all classes begin as scheduled.
- With host sites, conduct outreach for information sessions.
- Attend all information sessions.
- Ensure that all participants in information sessions and all learners enrolled in classes are legally eligible to apply for citizenship.
- With other HIAS PA staff, recruit, train and mentorpro bono lawyers andlawstudents, to assist with screening of applicants.
- With other HIAS PA staff, recruit, train and mentor volunteer tutors to assist students with English and naturalization exam questions.
- Establish and maintain a website accessible by P-CAN partners that contains a uniform calendar, lesson plan resources identified by participants and the Citizenship Instruction Coordinator.
- With Citizenship Instruction Coordinator, ensure that all teachers conduct pre and post assessments using CASAS.
- Receive and synthesize data from teachers regarding school attendance and retention.
- Complete quarterly or othe rreports needed for grant reporting.
- Coordinate quarterly meetings with all P-CAN assigned staff.
- Train citizenship instructors in the application process and formsused
Naturalization and Other Immigration Legal Process Application Assistance (50% of time)
- Interview applicants and complete theN-400 or other relevant immigration forms.
- Track each application using the LawLogix database from filing to swearing in or completion of process.
- Trouble shootcases.
- When appropriate, arrange for "on-site" application assistance at host sites.
- Ensure that project goals are met with respect to the number of applications filed.
Applicant must be available to work several evenings per month when information sessions are held.
- Bachelor's degree or JD degree required
- Experience with immigration legal services, including 2 years handling citizenshipapplications preferred.
- Two years experience inp rogram coordination activities.
- Accredited representativespreferred;if not accredited, must have the experience that enables applicant to apply for accreditation immediately. Individuals who are not accredited will be required to take 40 hours of training with the goal of becoming accredited.
- Excellent verbal and written communicationsskill
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, database management and internet
- Ability to manage a website
- Excellent organizational and time managementskills
- Ability toworkinateamandworkwithdiverseprofessionalsandliteracyproviders.
- Ability to pay close attention todetail.
- High degree of skill in doing detailed reporting
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Fluency in Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, Burmese or Bhutanese a plus
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.