Background: Based on the tradition of “welcoming the stranger,” HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
HIAS Pennsylvania seeks an energetic, committed, and detail-oriented individual to serve as our Housing Coordinator and Case Aide for newly-arriving refugees.
As Housing Coordinator, individual will:
- Find, secure, and set-up housing for newly-arriving refugees. This involves travelling around the city, often on public transit, meeting lots of landlords and seeing lots of apartments.
- Help refugees settle into their new homes, troubleshooting any housing-related issues, documenting services as required;
- Help refugees become self-sufficient around housing needs: conduct Housing orientations; help refugees learn to communicate with their landlord for repairs; help refugees learn to recognize, understand, and pay their bills.
- Request/track payments made on behalf of clients, such as rent and utilities.
- Document and case note required services.
- Develop and sustain relationships with landlords.
- Become educated in housing and related issues as needed.
In addition, individual will serve as a Case Aide, supporting the Case Managers in their direct service work with refugees. This role involves working directly with vulnerable, often non-English speaking populations. Case Aide tasks might include:
- Conducting a variety of orientation sessions.
- Assisting refugees with paperwork, bills, benefits, and so on.
- Accompanying refugee clients to appointments, ensuring they get the services they need.
- Assisting with a variety of other client-related tasks as needed.
- Enthusiasm, persistence, and positive energy; compassion and patience.
- Comfort using public transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Outstanding attention to detail. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Language skills beyond English very helpful. Most common client-speaking languages are: Arabic, Nepali, Ukrainian, Russian, Swahili, Dari/Farsi. Mandarin and Korean can also be helpful for this position.
- This position requires occasional evening work.
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Sarah Hotung at firstname.lastname@example.org.