Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
Job Title: Summer ESOL Program Contract Instructor
Supervisor: Refugee Education Coordinator
Time Commitment: Classes will operate from July 5th through July 26th 2017 from 9:00am-12:00pm Monday-Wednesday. Anticipated time commitment is 16.5 hours per week (9 hours of instruction with 6 hours for lesson preparation and 1.5 hours for classroom setup/clean up). In addition, the instructor will participate in pre-program preparation meetings and 1-2 additional student activities outside of the normal school dates if the budget allows.
General Description: The Summer ESOL Program Contract Instructor will be responsible for implementing ESOL classes, for one of two groups (grades K-4 or grades 9-12), composed of newly arrived refugee students who have been in the United States for 3 years or less. The overall goals of these ESL activities are to:
- improve academic achievements and educational gains for participating youth,
- increase English language communication skills, and
- enhance social adjustment.
The content of the ESL classes will be aimed to offer support in the core area of English Language acquisition, with an emphasis on understanding grade appropriate math, reading, social studies, and science topics.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Summer ESOL Program Contract Instructor will provide group/class instruction to refugee youth learners in sites located in the Northeast region of Philadelphia.
The Instructor will:
- Collaborate with the Refugee Education Coordinator in designing the program curriculum.
- Prepare daily lesson plans and materials, and organize classroom supplies.
- Assess goals for refugee youth in the program and manage instruction to meet these goals.
- Ensure that instruction is modified according to students’ English language proficiency.
- Manage student behavior.
- Coordinate volunteers assigned to the classroom.
- Maintain attendance sheets.
- Conduct all services in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Adhere to all HIAS PA agency policies.
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Significant experience in teaching ESOL. TEFL/TESOL certification, or TESOL master's degree preferred.
- Experience working with students in grade K-4.
- Experience or openness with incorporating music and art in class lessons .
- Current (within one year) PA Criminal Background check, PA Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Fingerprint Check
- Cultural sensitivity and openness working with different values and beliefs.
- Ability to work independently or within a team with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional boundaries as required and appropriate.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in decision-making practices.
- Ability and willingness to travel to Northeast Philadelphia.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
If you are interested this position, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Valeri Harteg at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include whether you are available for all 12 class sessions.