Refugee Resettlement Program
ESOL Middle School Art Program – ESOL Teaching Assistant
Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
Job Title: ESOL Middle School Art Program – Bilingual Support Staff
Supervisor: Refugee Education Coordinator
Time Commitment: Classes will operate from July 5th to July 28th from 12pm-3pm Monday-Friday. Anticipated minimum per ESOL Teaching Assistant is 15 hours per week, plus 8-10 hours of pre-program planning with a Contract Teaching Artist and 1-2 pre-program orientation meetings.
General Description: The ESOL Middle School Art Program – ESOL Teaching Assistant (ESOL TA)will support Contract Teaching Artists in providing arts-based enrichment classes tailored for newly arrived refugee and immigrant students, grades 5-7, who have been in the US for 3 years or less. Specifically, the ESOL TA will collaborate with the Contract Teaching Artist to develop appropriate language objectives for lessons based on lesson content and students’ language proficiency. The goals of the enrichment activities are to:
- increase English language gains of participating youth
- create a space of welcome and acceptance in which students’ cultures and languages are recognized and valued
- increase participants’ engagement in the arts and provide a venue in which they can express themselves creatively alongside their peers.
Art-based learning tracks could include, but are not limited to creative writing, music, dance, drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, ceramics, and mixed-media.Creative activities will support English language development as well as enhance students’ understanding of grade appropriate math, reading, social studies, and science topics.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The ESOL Teaching Assistant will:
- Collaborate and consult with the Contract Teaching Artist to develop appropriate language objectives for lessons with art-based content.
- Assist the Contract Teaching Artist in making language goals visible to students and in implementing language-specific activities in the classroom.
- Ensure that instruction is modified according to students’ language proficiency levels.
- Help to monitor student progress through frequent informal assessment.
- Enforce classroom procedures, routines, and rules.
- Manage lunch time for the students.
- Assist with student dismissal.
- Attend pre-program planning meetings with the Refugee Education Coordinator and with assigned Contract Teaching Artist.
- Conduct all services in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Adhere to all HIAS PA agency policies.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- TESOL or TEFL certification or Master’s degree in TESOL (in progress or completed) preferred.
- Ability to collaborate in: creating lesson plans, developing lesson materials, and monitoring and assessing student performance.
- Ability to craft appropriate language objectives for lessons based on lesson content and students’ language proficiency levels.
- Interest in and/or experience working with middle school-age youth.
- Interest in the arts, including visual arts, creative writing, music, and dance.
- Current (within one year) PA Criminal Background check, PA Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Fingerprint Check or Waiver, and ACT 126 Certificate of Completion (as Mandated Reporters).
- Openness and cultural sensitivity to working with people with different values and beliefs.
- Ability to work independently or within a team with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional boundaries as required and appropriate.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in decision-making practices.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to travel to Northeast Philadelphia.
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
If you are interested this position, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Valeri Harteg at email@example.com. Please also indicate whether you are available for all class sessions.