Community Engagement Specialist
Supervisor: Director of Development
Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal, resettlement and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
General Position Description
The Community Engagement Specialist will develop and coordinate HIAS-PA’s engagement with community partners, primarily focusing on volunteers, especially those working with the refugee resettlement program. This position is contingent on grant funding.
Status: Full Time (35 hours per week), year round-exempt
Salary: $34,000 - $36,000
Summary of Core Responsibilities
- Develop and support community partnerships with congregations, ethnic and community-based organizations, and private stakeholders;
- Develop the individual volunteer program, including recruiting, training, placing and supporting volunteers;
- Manage volunteer events;
- Manage in-kind donations;
- Manage speaker’s bureau;
- Conduct all services in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner, according to agency policies and procedure;
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in related field required;
- Knowledge and experience working with volunteers;
- Willingness to travel throughout the city and the suburbs and conduct recruiting in community based locations;
- Preference given to those candidates who have experience working with immigrant and refugee communities or economically and ethnically diverse populations;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skill in English required;
- Fluency in Swahili, Arabic, or Burmese a plus;
- Ability to work with a multicultural clientele and ethnically diverse staff;
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications and Excel;
- Strong database management skills, with accuracy in data entry;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in decision making practices;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to identify challenges and provide recommendations for solutions.
35 hours per week, flexible within normal business hours. This position requires occasional weekend and evening availability.
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
As with all employees, continued employment is contingent upon maintaining authorization to work in the United States, and the renewal of funding to support the position.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Veronica Cacho at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.